- Homestays provide a great opportunity to practice the English language and to learn about American culture. Students live with a family and have a private bedroom and either a private or shared bathroom. The host families do not usually live near the UNCG campus, so it is necessary to pay the homestay transportation fee unless the student owns a car. For a room with 2 meals per day and transportation, the cost is $800 per month. Students interested in a homestay should contact INTERLINK to request an application and contract. There is also a $150 non-refundable placement fee. There are a limited number of host families, so students are generally placed on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Carefully consider the following questions and answers to help you make a decision about whether you are the kind of person for whom a homestay is most appropriate. Click the questions to see the answers.
1. What is a Homestay?
2. What kind of student is best suited for a homestay?
3. What kind of families participate in the homestay program?
4. What do homestay families expect of students?
5. What are the advantages of a homestay?
6. Are there difficulties with a homestay?
7. What suggestions do you have about Homestays?
Off-campus apartments (click for list)
- INTERLINK can provide information about apartments located near the UNCG campus; however, we are not involved with reservations, security deposits, or the furnishing of apartments. It is best for students to see apartments before signing a contract, so we recommend arriving at least one week before the beginning of classes to visit sites and to complete the paperwork. A six-month or one-year lease is usually required, and some places require a U.S. co-signer. That being said, certain apartment complexes are willing to offer special, short-term leases for INTERLINK students. Prices typically range between $400-$800 per month, depending on the type/size of the apartment and the number of roommates.
- Almost all on-campus housing is for undergraduate students, and space is very limited (especially for males). Living in a dorm provides great opportunities for learning English and meeting people. UNCG dorm rooms include (two) beds, desks, chairs, closets or armoires, and chests of drawers. Each room also has a computer jack or wireless access and is air-conditioned. Prices for INTERLINK students currently range between $1100-$1650 per 9-week term, depending on the type of room available. Students who live on campus are required to purchase a campus meal plan, which costs $796 per 9-week term. Payment for both the room and the meal plan is made directly to INTERLINK during the first week of class. Students interested in staying on campus should contact INTERLINK to find out whether space is available. Cancellations are not allowed once a space has been reserved, and interested students are required to pay a $100 deposit.